Quick lunch ideas for kids
One of the things I love about September is the opportunity it presents for a reset of my routine, and a chance to re-evaluate what is working and what isn’t. Gone are the lazy days of summer where grabbing a snack on the fly didn’t seem to matter as much. But now, with school starting, it is a good time to start over.
Grab a new lunch box for yourself and your kids, and get ready to prepare some healthy, nutrient-packed quick lunch ideas for kids.
In case you’re thinking that you don’t have time, and that you are working and running and doing, I say that’s the most important time to make healthy choices — exactly for that reason. You (and your kids) need to be in tip-top shape both physically and emotionally, to take on the world, and to be able to do it without the mid-afternoon slump.
So dig in and take a look at some healthy, delicious, (and inexpensive) lunch ideas.
Preschool and Elementary School
- Delicious Hummus: 1/2 cup hummus + 10-15 whole grain crackers + 1/2 cup baby carrots + 1 fruit and veggie squeeze pouch + Honest Kids juicebox
- Chocolate Hazelnut Samich: 2 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut butter on whole grain bread with banana slices + 1/2 cup carrot sticks + 4 oz vanilla oat milk.
- Better Than BLT: Avocado, lettuce, cucumber and sliced tomato with pinch of salt on whole grain roll + 1/2 cup grapes or berries + 1 package of Biena Chickpea Snacks + small water.
Middle and High School
- Adzuki Bean Burger on whole grain bun with lettuce and mustard + 1 cup carrots + 1 cup sliced peaches or apples + 1 bag Simply 7 Gluten-Free Roasted Red Pepper Chips + 8 oz. seltzer water with lemon.
- Tuna Pockets: 2 small whole wheat pitas filled with Chickpea Tuna Salad + 1/2 cup cucumbers + 1 apple + 8 oz. sparkling water.
- Cool Beans: 1 small whole wheat tortilla heated with black beans + Tasty Bite Brown Rice & Lentils + 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers + 6 organic strawberries + unsweetened iced tea.
- Super Salad: Super Food Salad-in-a-Jar + 10 black sesame crisps + 1 apple + hot green tea.
- Thick Soup: Thick as Fog Pea Soup + 1/2 cup sliced carrots + 1 bunch grapes + 8 oz. seltzer water.
- Israeli Couscous: Organic Middle Eastern couscous mixed with chick peas, red and green peppers, red onions, cucumbers and a dash of vinaigrette dressing + 2 pieces dark chocolate + sparkling lime water.
These are easy, quick and simple recipes, and of course you can mix and match! Use this as a guide for quick healthy lunch ideas, and let me know how it works in the comments below!